Welcome to The Block 2021, where we are kicking off with the Guest Bedroom reveal. This is a good way to break in the contestants, 3 new couples and 2 old timers and to begin to get a feel for how their houses will shape up.
This year we will be including the total cost for each room reveal, the lack of which before I have found frustrating. It's great for novice decorators to see how far their budget could go and the great news is that this week, the couple who spent the least, actually won first place.
The Block 2021 – Guest Bedroom Reveal
This year, I am going to show you all the rooms and let you know what I particularly like about them and what works.
With five couples in a cul de sac in the lovely Melbourne beachside suburb of Hampton, here is the start of their renovation journey.
First Place: Ronnie & Georgia || Score 24.5 / 30 || Spent $11,305.00
What I like about Ronnie & Georgia's guest bedroom reveal
- This is a welcoming environment as they have used lovely warm neutrals in the room.
- I love the wardrobes. Being the same colour as the walls, rather than the trim of the internal doors, makes them blend in well.
- I really like the central bookshelves and drawers which look great picked out in the warm oak tones with brass handles. A great place to add some interest with accessories and also a practical spot for future buyers to add in a small TV.
- A lovely guest bedroom which deserves to be the winner – and they spent the least amount of money!
Related: What colour do I paint my internal doors?
Second Place: Josh & Luke || Score 24 / 30 || Spent $20,722.80
What I like about Josh & Luke's guest bedroom
- I love the fabulous lux feel to the room and will be interested to see whether this hotel vibe continues throughout the home.
- The colour palette is spot on. A gorgeous range of blues with just an accent of their complementary colour in the golden tones of the cushions and artwork frame.
- The soft grey on the walls works well and is a nice change from white.
- The lux vibe comes at a cost though as this was the most expensive of all the rooms this week.
Equal Third Place: Tanya & Vito || Score 23 / 30 || Spent: $14,199.98
What I like about Tanya & Vito's Guest Bedroom Reveal
- I love the colour! I really loved the winning neutral room but this is so much fun too and great to see contestants pushing those boundaries.
- The oak flooring extended through to the bedrooms with the use of rugs gives a lovely laid back coastal feel.
- The writing/dressing table nook is a nice touch too. A great practical inclusion in a small space.
- With a total spend of $14,199.98, this is a lovely fun and uplifting space for visitors to use. Let's see if this theme continues through the project.
Equal Third Place: Kirsty & Jesse || Score 23 / 30 || Spent: $14,757.58
What I like about Kirsty & Jesse's guest bedroom reveal
- I love the soft blue on the wainscoting. It's good to see the contestants challenging the decorating norms as you would usually paint the wainscoting in white with the colour above. This works for me as it keeps the blue as more of an accent.
- Kirsty & Jesse have configured their space to incorporate a generous guest ensuite which I think is a good idea. A guest bedroom doesn't need to be huge but guest ensuites can be cramped so I look forward to seeing this next week.
- The room is fresh with a classic coastal vibe with a total of $14,757.58 spent.
Last Place: Mark & Mitch || Score 22.5 / 30 || Spent: $13,823.20
What I like about Mark & Mitch's guest bedroom
- Blush pink is the most enveloping of all the colours in the spectrum. It is soft and comforting and this bedroom is like a cocoon, reminiscent of the pastels from the 1950s. I really admire their courage in putting this scheme together.
- The colour scheme has been executed well with some soft on-trend sage green as the complementary colour – a perfect partner to rose pink.
- I like the study nook incorporated into the wardrobes.
- I love the carpet choice – textured wool carpets are usually my favourite
There are more updates on Nine Now and you can purchase most of the gorgeous pieces that you see throughout the show through The Block Shop.
I have all the guest bedroom room reveals from The Block 2020 on my website too if you wanted to compare how these contestants have done.
My favourite pieces from the show this week are:
I absolutely love Banksias and I love books. My home is filled with them and this would be a great addition.
Related: Styling with Books
In a room with lots of colour, it's nice to break it up with some neutral textured designs – I think this cushion from Tanya & Vito's room is perfect.
I love the movement in this abstract artwork from Josh & Luke's lux bedroom scheme.
Related: How to display a statement artwork
If you are building or renovating or even just undertaking a weekend decorating project, you should check out my Free Resource Library where I have comprehensive checklists and e-books which are all FREE to download.